This past Wednesday, I dyed some merino comb top roving. It’s 15.5 microns and is incredibly soft.
I dyed the fiber in my crockpot. I used Wilton’s icing color. This isn’t the greatest picture, but that’s how it looked when I submerged the fiber in the hot liquid…. murky. I wasn’t liking the color then, but I knew it would change after I took it out of the crockpot. I let the fiber set in the crockpot overnight and the next morning I took it out. I removed the excess water by gently wrapping the fiber in a bathtowel. Since it was raining outside, I could not hang it on the clothesline and so I hung it inside to dry. It was chilly here, so the woodstove was on, providing added heat to the room.
Guess what? I really love this color.
My only regret is that I did not dye more. However, I’ll spin this into a fingering weight yarn and use it for a small project.
I’m still spinning the bobbin of fingering weight handspun yarn… see? I’m hoping to finish it this weekend! We’ll see. My brother, sister-in-law and nephew will be in town.
Because yesterday was a cold day, I decided to make a tiny surprise for my daughter… pizza! The dough was prepped in the morning, which gave it plenty of time to rise.
This is what it looked like, right before I slid it in the oven. This is a half and half pizza; half is sausage and the other half is vegetables.
The herbs and spices were freshly ground in my 15 pound granite mortar and pestle. The ‘pizza sauce’ had been simmering for a few hours, to really add a full body flavor… and the crust was lightly seasoned with herbs. Not too much, since I did not want to overpower the pizza. After returning from picking my daughter up from school, she was welcomed with the delightful smell of a freshly made pizza!